Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Beginning Again...

"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise."
  Psalm 51:15

It has been a long time since I have written anything.  Over two years to be exact.  A lot has happened in that span of time.  My life has changed, my family has changed.  I have experienced some great things and seen God do amazing works.  I have lost people that I love.  I have walked with friends through dark times and celebrated great victories with others.  To be honest all of it is overwhelming when I just stop and think about it.  However, in the midst of those times I have missed doing what I am doing right now - sharing with you - whoever you may be and wherever you may come from.

I titled this blog "The Journey" because that is precisely what our lives are.  For the Christian it is Augustine said, we are on our way from the "city of man to the city of God."  The Journey is sometimes very difficult and at other times simply breathtaking.  There are days we struggle to take a single step while others we feel as if our feet hardly touch the ground.  Being in ministry I see it all.  I love getting the text messages or phone calls that say, "Guess what happened today??" and then it is followed with news of salvation or repentance or healing.  These are indeed great moments.  They are moments that it is easy to declare the praise of God.  Those are the moments that we, unashamedly, without reservation say, "God is good."

Then there are the tough days.  There are the phone calls, office visits and emails that have news that is not so good.  The messages that follow consist of heartache, pain and struggle.  Many of them result in tears.  One of the things I have noticed on my "journey" is the purity of praise during the hard moments.  Some of the most beautiful worship I have ever experienced has been at the bedside of a saint who knows that time is short and they will soon stand in the presence of their King.

Last fall I lost my grandfather.  Almost 90 years old, wounded in WWII, survivor of a total of 8 heart bypasses, prostate cancer and a diabetic - he was a warrior.  When we received the news that he didn't have long left I went up for a visit.  As the miles clicked by on the drive up, my mind was flooded with memories.  The realization that life was about to change again was tough.  However, about the time most of the tears began to flow a song was on the radio (Casting Crowns Jesus Friend of Sinners) and the bridge simply says, "You are good. You are good and Your love endures forever."  I sang that part with everything in me as the tears ran down my cheeks.  I just praised God.  And I must say, I will never listen to that song the same again.  It was some of the most wonderful worship I have ever experienced.  My heart felt free.  God opened my lips that day to declare his praise.

A good friend of mine is battling cancer and the prognosis is not good.  Her body is racked with sickness and pain from the chemo but just the other day she said in a text, I am "supernaturally strong."  She is struggling but still praising.  The shining reality in every situation, no matter how dark, is that God IS good and nothing ever changes his love for us.  Ask Him to open your lips as David did in Psalm 51.  He will and you will experience the freedom that true worship can bring - even when you don't feel like it.  The journey is not always fun, and sometimes it just plain hurts, but our God is ALWAYS good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment