Thursday, October 31, 2013

The 13th Mile

Therefore, since we also have such a large cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares us.  Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.
Hebrews 12:1

As I sit here this morning, I am struggling to figure out exactly where this year has gone.  This is the last day of October.  The weather has cooled down considerably and I have been fighting the urge to listen to Christmas music.  I love this time of year.  Last Saturday I ran my first ever half marathon.  Up until a few months ago, the furthest I had ever ran was a 10K my senior year of high school.  Mind you I ran that race without training very much at all and felt horrible after 4 miles.  Since then, when I ran I would stick to 5K's (never forgot that feeling).  I had always tossed around the idea of a half but had never just committed myself to doing one and preparing for it.  Seeing that I turned 40 this year I decided it was time.  I talked with my brother about it and we began training.  We selected the Spinx Half in Greenville.  The October 26th date would mean cooler temps and I had heard it was a great race to run.
11 weeks from race day we began our training plan.  We endured hot days, muscle cramps and all sorts of aches and pains we had never had before.  My brother battled knee pain and I struggled with foot issues.  (In my mind I still try and convince myself I am 20 however, on some days during this process I felt 87.)  Towards the end of our training I even had an 11 miler that my body completely shut down.  I felt what I had seen others go through on TV.  My arms and legs were shaking and I could not take another step.  I began to wonder if I could even finish 13 miles.  Your mind can play so many tricks on you.  Our training plan never had us run 13 miles.  So as the actual race neared I began to think things like, "What if you lock up again?" and "That would be pretty embarrassing to have to crawl across the finish line" and "Maybe you should just do another race."
Race day arrived and I was amazed at how good I felt.  My brother and I decided to stay together which was an encouragement to me. The miles passed and we talked and even laughed at some spots.  I know you are thinking, "What could possibly be funny?"  All I will say is that at a few of the early mile markers there were folks with cowbells.  As the race progressed, we discussed the need for "more cowbell."  Hey, when you are running that far it is amazing at what pops in your mind.  Don't judge.  There were several other funny moments as well.  (See the guy standing on his front porch with a pot and a wooden spoon making as much noise as possible)  Before we knew it we were in mile 13 and I was amazed.  (We were also on a pace that was exceeding what we had hoped for).  I couldn't believe how good I felt.  We neared the finish and I saw my family and then it began to dawn on me.  I wasn't running this thing alone.  The encouragement that I had received in the days leading up to and during the race had made all the difference.  Every kind word or text or clap all converged on that moment.  I felt as if I could keep going after 13.
Encouragement made all the difference.  A good friend of mine had sent me Hebrews 12:1 in a text the day before the race.  It couldn't have come at a better time.  I began to think about the "cloud of witnesses" in my life.  Those that had said something kind or offered a prayer.  I thought of how my brother and I had encouraged each other during the race.  I thought of those who had inspired me with their testimony and life, Charlie Watson and Ron Miller and how they kept going in the "13th mile" of their lives.  I realized yet again just how blessed I am.  My whole perspective changed as a result of knowing I wasn't in the race alone.
When you think about it, life is the same way.  We encounter people every day who are running and many may be to the point they feel like giving up.  They are either dreading the next mile or battling the feeling of "I can't do this."  Their minds are saying, "just give up now" or "no one cares."  Our words can make all the difference.  What you say to someone who is struggling can encourage them to keep going when they are struggling the most.  As a matter of fact, you may even need to run with them for a while.  Scripture tells us to "bear one another's burdens" (Gal. 6:2) and to "encourage each other" (Heb. 3:13).  In a world that is filled with so much negativity the church should stand out.  Jesus said his followers would be known by their love.  Look around you.  The runners are everywhere and many of them feel like they are running alone.  Remind someone today that you are in the race with them and that no matter what mile it is - they never run alone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment