Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Few Good Reads...

Tis' the season for top 10 lists and "best of" lists.  I always enjoy finding out what books other Pastors have enjoyed the previous year.  In many ways 2012 was a blur for me.  This seemed to affect my reading volume as well.  I read far less than I had in previous years.  However, there were a few of the books that I read that I greatly enjoyed.  Having said that here are a few recommendations (in no particular order):

Tim Keller - King's Cross and Counterfeit Gods.  I discovered Tim Keller not to long ago.  He is a fantastic writer and I find myself reading anything of his that I can get my hands on.  By the way, in an amazing story I got King's Cross free from a bookstore.  It was an advance copy and had no bar code but was on the shelf.  I asked about it and they said, "just take it if you want it."  God is good!

Tullian Tchividjian - Jesus + Nothing = Everything and Surprised By Grace.  My personal favorite was "Surprised." 

Paul E. Miller - A Praying Life.  One of the best books on prayer I have ever read.  Very thought provoking and I have recommended it to several people.

Randy Alcorn - We Shall See God.  This is a collection of excerpts of Spurgeon's sermons on heaven paired with comments from Alcorn.  Great imagery on heaven and was a useful book as well.  My family experienced a lot of sickness and loss over the summer.  This book was an encouragement during many of those times.

JD Greear - Gospel.  I enjoyed this book as well.  I am excited about the renewed focus on getting the Gospel message straight.  My favorite section was the Gospel Prayer.  It is a wonderful reminder of who God is and how the Gospel should affect our daily lives.

If you choose to read any of these books, I pray they will bless you as they did me.  Merry Christmas and happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment